Saturday 19 February 2011

Street Try Out

scan0018

I did a little bit of Street Photography along the streets of Old Town Nilai. I wasn't really trying to do Street, it just happens that I usually pass by this town to get to the KTM station. Anyone who is familiar with Nilai knows that there's not many places which can be deemed as "interesting" here. So I was trying to capture something which is normal, maybe somewhat boring, look a little bit more interesting. Ultimately, I don't know whether I accomplished this mission, but my article did get chosen for publishing on the lomography website. Well i guess that should be count as something, or at least the beginning of something.

I got the idea of capturing the streets when I saw an old Agfa photolab while i was passing through this town. To those who are unfamiliar with photolabs, this is quite a rare sight. I was hoping that they have some expired agfa films or at least offer a decent rate for developing.

Well, it was too good to be true, there was only some Fuji superias and some kodak consumer films. When I mentioned about Agfa, the lab owner starts ranting on how Agfa got bankrupt. Haha, it was quite funny really.

I shot a lot of the pre-WWII buildings here. When I reached the end of the town, I realized that I don't have any picture of the people here. After all, what makes a place alive and unique are it's people. So on the way back to the bus station, I asked some people along the way (mostly kids) whether i can take their picture. The kids here are quite friendly, and seem more than happy to get their picture taken.

I shot the whole town in one roll. I don't know if its enough.

You rarely hear that Nilai is an interesting place, and there's the fact that students here always complain about how boring this place is. Well at least I see things a bit differently. I don't even think my pictures did enough justice to this town. But at least now, when you type in "Old Town Nilai" on google, my article would be the first after wikimapia.

scan0013

scan0014

scan0017

scan0011

scan0004

scan0002

scan0020

my short article.

you can see the rest of my pictures on my lomohome or some of them on my flickr.
though my flickr is as messy as it is.

No comments: